- 1 Treedots ready-to-cook Duck Confit
- 1 uncooked sausage of choice
- 100g cured pork product
- 1 15-oz can Cannellini Beans, loosely drained (do not rinse)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 yellow onion (finely diced)
- 1 medium carrot (finely diced)
- 1 clove of garlic (thinly sliced)
- Bunch of fresh herbs / 2 tsp dried herbs
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- Parsley for garnish (finely chopped)
- Separate duck fat from Treedots’ ready-to-cook Duck Confit, straining away any bits of meat. Reserve the fat, it’s delicious and we probably won’t use it all here.
- Using 1 tbsp duck fat, brown the sausage and cured pork product of choice (recommended: slab bacon, smoked ham or thick cut pancetta).
- Remove meats from pan and sweat onions and carrots. Once softened, add garlic, salt, pepper, tomato paste and dried or fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, sage are all good choices).
- Cook for a minute or so and deglaze with wine of choice, scraping up all the wonderful fond created. Add half of drained beans, chicken stock, bay leaf and meats that were seared initially.
- After simmering stew on low for 10-20 minutes uncovered and it has reduced slightly, remove meat and cut into bite-sized pieces before returning to pot with Treedots ready-to-cook Duck Confit (the skinless leg) and remainder of the beans. Let whole mixture braise for another 10 minutes.
- Reheat oven at 230 deg celcius on the broil setting.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping: Carefully remove the skin from the duck leg and toast the skin at 175 deg celcius for 5-10 minutes to crisp it up, reserving for garnish. Mix bread crumbs with 1 tbsp of reserved duck fat and season with salt and pepper.
- Taste the stew for seasoning and check for consistency, it should be slightly thick. Remove braise from stove and top with breadcrumbs. If skillet used is not oven-safe, transfer contents to oven-safe dish first.
- Broil for 5-10 minutes, rotating halfway if necessary. Remove from oven, top with toasted duck skin (broken up into smaller pieces) and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Serve and enjoy your cassoulet! Easy and simple, isn’t it? 🙂
Enjoy up to 90% off retail prices on your groceries by group buying with us! Click the above button to join us today.