Creamy White Chicken Chili with Cheese Garnish
Are you a fan of something not too spicy but still has a kick of heat? No more gulping down of water to soothe the scorching heat of habanero peppers. Opt for something milder like white chili. Combine the spice with a creamy sauce and you have texture and flavor that you can’t get enough of. This creamy white chicken chili is an easy dish that will quickly become a crockpot favorite for the family.
- 2 (15 oz.) cans of white beans, drained or 8 oz. dry white beans
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- 2 )4 0z.) cans chopped green chilis
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 jalapeño or serrano pepper finely chopped
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs (You can use chicken breasts, but thighs will work better), trimmed of excess fat, cut into ½ inc. cubes
- 3 cups chicken stock/broth
- 1 ½ cups grated cheese (Monterey Jack or Gouda)
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Optional (if using dry beans):
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- If using dry beans, cook them first.
- Fill a medium-sized pot with 2 quarts of water. Add 1 ½ teaspoon of salt, 1 chopped garlic clove, and one bay leaf. Add in the dry beans. Turn the heat to high and bring to a simmer. Place the lid and reduce heat to maintain a low simmer.
- You need to wait for 2 to 3 hours for the beans to cook. Take note that some bean variants cook faster than others such as cannelini beans compared with old navy beans. Once cooked, drain.
- Heat up the olive oil in a thick-bottomed pot. Sauté the onion for about 4 minutes. Toss in the garlic, cumin, cloves, and cayenne. Cook for at least one more minute. Add the green chilis and dried oregano. You can also add in your jalapeño or serrano chili if you have them.
- Add the chicken and the broth/stock. To simmer, increase the heat then lower it right before boiling. Cover with a lid and maintain the simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked to your satisfaction.
- Add the drained cooked beans. Let it cook for 15 minutes more. Give it a quick taste. You can freely add more salt or your preferred seasonings to taste.
- Upon serving, sprinkle it with grated cheese. Other popular options for garnish are some cilantro, fresh tomatoes, scallions, and guacamole.